With catering taking up a large portion of the budget for weddings it is important to save where you can without sacrificing on quality. Most caterers allow wedding organisers to provide their own drinks, and there is no hard and fast rule when it comes to corkage, some may charge for a wedding venue however if you are lucky enough to have a marquee on private land then they will not.
The average wedding has 170 guests and a budget of £2,200 for refreshments so even a small saving per bottle can make a big impact on the final cost of your big day.
Here are our top tips for making sure that you get the most value for money:
1. Check with your caterer to see if they will allow you to provide your own drinks. If they do then check the corkage that they may charge.
2. Stagger the drinks on offer, for example having a cocktail hour and then wine for the rest of the function.
3. Many of the top award winning sparkling wines are cavas and proseccos rather than champagne, consider serving these instead not only are they slightly cheaper it’s a way of standing out from the crowd.
4. By allocating a few bottles of wine (either red or white) to each table during dinner, service may not be required and it will also encourage guests to make what is there last the meal.
5. Devise your own signature drink to serve at the reception instead of champagne, a blend of vodka and fruit juices is always a good place to start.
6. ‘Sale or Return’ is not always the best option. Buying drinks outright instead can be cheaper and is an excellent way of stocking up your cellar for the future. Remember that most drinks will happily last three+ years.
7. Check price comparison websites such as bringabottle.co.uk to make sure that you’re getting the best deals on your champagne, wines and spirits. With an average saving of 25% this equates to £550 for the average wedding.
The expense of a wedding can be one of the most stressful factors in organising your big day and any money saved can free up budgets for flowers, dresses or even a few extra nights on honeymoon!
Perfect Wedding Promotion