Learn how make these heart-shaped treats with this recipe from The Cookie Jar for seriously pretty (and very easy) wedding favours.
What you need
For the cookies:
200g plain flour
A pinch of salt
90g tablespoons butter
Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
1 teaspoon finely-grated lemon zest
50ml thick plain yogurt
For the fondant icing:
175g fondant icing sugar
Red food colouring
2 baking sheets lined with baking parchment
Heart-shaped cookie cutters in various sizes
1–2 disposable piping bags
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and add vanilla seeds and lemon zest. Mix well. Rub in the butter. Stir in the yogurt and bring the mixture together to form a soft dough.
2. On a lightly-floured surface, roll the dough out into a large rectangle about 4mm thick. Cut out hearts and arrange on baking sheets, leaving space between each one.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, until golden and firm. Place on a wire rack to cool.
4. Mix 100g of fondant icing sugar with enough water and food colouring to create a thick, pale pink paste. Using a piping bag, decorate the biscuits, leaving a small border. Mix the remaining icing sugar with a little water and pipe dots to create a pretty outline around the pink sugar icing.
5. Leave to set, store between layers of baking parchment in an airtight container and eat within three days.
Want more ideas? Make your own hedgerow jam wedding favours with our easy recipe or how about heart-shaped doughnut favours?
Credit: The Cookie Jar by Liz Franklin. Photography by Kate Whitaker. Images © Ryland Peters & Small