Move over cupcakes… doughnuts are the latest wedding craze! Make your own with this lovely recipe.
Prep time 50 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
What you need
80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
110g caster sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1 egg yolk, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla essence
500g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
A good pinch of fine sea salt
20g freeze-dried strawberries
Vegetable, canola or rice bran oil, for deep-frying
For the icing
125g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
2 teaspoons imitation strawberry essence
1 tablespoon milk
6 drops of pink food colouring
WEDDING DIY: REAL FLOWER CROWN
1. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixer for 3 minutes, or until pale and fluffy. Add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla essence and milk and mix until just combined.
2. Sift the flour and salt over the mixture in the bowl. Add half of the freeze-dried strawberries and mix until just combined, but do not overmix or the dough will become tough.
3. Lightly flour a clear surface, turn the dough out onto it and, using lightly-floured hands, gently bring together. Knead gently for a few seconds until the dough becomes smooth. Using a floured rolling pin, gently roll the dough out to a 1cm (½in) thickness. Using a floured 6cm (2½in) heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the hearts from the dough, making sure you cut them as close together as possible. Re-roll any offcuts and cut out more hearts until you have 18 in total.
WEDDING DIY: PEGGY PORSCHENRED VELVET LAYER CAKE RECIPE
4. Heat the oil in a deep, heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat until it reaches 180˚C (350˚F). Deep-fry the doughnuts in batches, turning occasionally, for 2–3 mins each, or until puffed, golden and cooked through. Transfer to paper towels to drain briefly, then allow to cool.
5. Whisk all the ingredients for the strawberry icing together in a bowl until smooth.
6. Transfer the doughnuts to a wire rack set over a baking tray. Drizzle the icing over the cooled doughnuts. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining freeze-dried strawberries, then allow to set before dusting with extra icing sugar and serving.
Project from Donuts by Tracey Meharg (Murdoch Books £14.99)
Photography: Rob Palmer