These DIY meringue wedding favours can keep for up to two weeks, so you can get to work on this recipe well in advance of your wedding day.
What you need
Makes 25 meringues
4 egg whites
200g white caster sugar
Wilton Colouring Paste in three colours*
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Wilton Colour Swirl Decorating Set*
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN FLOWER CROWN
How to make it!
1. Make sure your mixing bowl is clean and dry. Preheat the oven to 140ºC (120ºC for a fan oven).
2. Whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks for four minutes, with a pinch of salt and the flavouring. Once stiff, keep whisking and slowly add the sugar. Continue to whisk for around 10 minutes.
3. Split the mixture into three bowls. Dip cocktail sticks into the colouring paste and swirl through each of the three mixtures.
4. Make three piping bags using the Wilton Colour Swirl Decorating Set. Fill each bag with mixture.
5. Apply a small amount of mix to each corner of the trays and lay greaseproof paper on top.
6. Holding the piping bag at the top and the bottom, twist the bags from the top to pipe out 5cm rounds – you can try different nozzle attachments for different effects.
7. Bake for one hour, then switch off the oven and leave for two hours to dry out (you can even leave overnight if you wanted to).
CREDIT: David Westman for Hobbycraft *available from hobbycraft
WEDDING DIY IDEAS FOR THE LAZY BRIDE